Thursday, May 30, 2013

Mike Wallace's Mouth Running Faster Than His Feet Needs To Stop


by Jayden

Well, I said we wasn't going to go there, but he pushed once too often, so now I have to go there. His comments last weekend, on top of the others he had made, pushed me to the point where I can no longer be nice. I have never bashed him and have been appreciative of the things he did for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but enough is enough. It is time for Mike Wallace to shut up.

First, he took a jab at his former quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, in saying that his new quarterback, Ryan Tannehill, has a stronger arm. Maybe so. However, I remember people raving about the great arms of Dan McGuire, Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell. Remember them? Me neither. So...his point is?

Now, I'm not going to go all Terrell Owens on y'all and cry, "That's my quarterback....It's not fair." But without that inferior-armed quarterback, Wallace would not have had all those deep passes thrown to him. As a matter of fact, I do believe Wallace was overthrown a couple of times. Go fig. It was also that same QB who put up with Wallace's inconsistent route running and dropped passes, yet still gave him opportunity after opportunity. And this is how he talks about him?



But what really pushed it over the edge was what he said most recently: “Everybody has a college mentality around here. It’s a lot different than where I came from. Everybody’s hungry. Everybody wants to get better, get to where we need to be – that’s a winning record.”

OH, NO YOU DIDN’T!

Well, that was the icing on the cake for me. When he bashes a franchise that has done nothing but win and then compare them to a team that has averaged a whopping 6.5 wins a season over the last six years, that is the last straw for me. Hell, he wasn't even alive the last time the Dolphins even went to the Super Bowl. The Dolphins are all about 'getting better'? Well, no sh*t, Sherlock! What choice do they have?

Again, I have tried not bashing Wallace, but frankly I wasn’t upset when he left. Just as I wasn’t upset when Santonio Holmes was traded, and, frankly, Holmes was twice the receiver he is. At least he stepped up and proved he wanted to win in Super Bowl 43. To me, that showed the kind of receiver Holmes was, and something that Wallace never showed. Did he ever go to Big Ben and say, 'Hey I want the ball. Give me the ball and we can do this'? I highly doubt it. From your comments here it was probably more on the line of, "Hey, I need more touches to pad my stats and make Mike Wallace more bankable."

I'm not the only one who doesn't get him, either. Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wondered why Wallace continues "to disparage the Steelers, the city of Pittsburgh and Ben Roethlisberger?" - http://t.co/lB4ve3WTSq

These most recent comments tell me what I already knew: he is not about being a team player and is all about himself. He is a spoiled, enabled, self-entitled Divo who thinks that all of sudden he is the second coming since the Dolphins gave him a big contract. Well, guess what? He isn't. I'm not the only one who believes that, either. As NFL.com's Adam Schein wrote back in March, Wallace is "all about the money" and doesn't 'prioritize winning'. - http://tinyurl.com/kgulnhy

Sure, under new Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin, the Green Bay Packers offense ranked in the top 10 in the NFL for points scored and total yards every year he was either the offensive line and tight ends coach and offensive coordinator, but Wallace is hardly Donald Driver or Greg Jennings and Tannehill is not even close to Aaron Rodgers.

With the Steelers he had a lot of weapons surrounding him. In Miami, that simply won't be the case, because Brian Hartline is a decent receiver but he is no Antonio Brown. Not even close. Sadly, Philbin just doesn't have the arsenal he had in Green Bay. But, hey, keep up with that "college mentality" and see how that works out, because this isn't college.

Also, all of this comes from a guy who says they are all about winning. Well, where was all of this when he was playing for the Steelers last season? (pauses for effect) Well, he knew he was leaving and didn’t care. He held out, he dropped key passes and didn’t run routes. The sad thing is that not one Steelers player has said anything negative about Wallace, in fact, they have all be singing his praises, calling him their "brother" and wishing him the best. But all that had come out of Wallace's unappreciative mouth had been shots at his former team and teammates.

I think we all remember quite well the last rumblings from a Philadelphia team that made big splashes in the offseason during the free agency. Vince Young used the words "dream team" to describe the Eagles and, eight wins later, that dream a nightmare. Could history repeat it self here?

Yet, there were rumblings last season that receivers were more concerned about their individual stats and/or free agency than about winning. Hmmm...I wonder who that was? According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review last December, he even publicly complained about the team’s new offense and his lack of touches saying that "when you don't get the ball for two-and-half quarters, you lose focus." Is someone is telling on himself a little bit?

Now, when you add the backtracking he did with the homophobic Jason Collins tweet on his Twitter feed, Wallace looks like Michael Jackson with as much moonwalking as he's done. Once more his PR people, er uh, he has apologized for running his mouth by tweeting this on Monday: "I want it to be known that I have nothing but love and respect for everybody" in the Steelers organization. He said the Steelers players "are my brothers for life beyond football so to all the people who think I take shots at them it is totally misleading."

Uh-huh... Does he really think now, though, that any fan will accept or believe that or defend him? Sadly, I know there will be some who will, but I will no longer be one of them.

So when he takes the field this year, he'd better hope he didn’t write checks his ASStounding speed can't cash. He also had better hope that Ryan Clark doesn't remember. Why? Ask Willis McGahee, or Ed Dickson, or Victor Cruz, or...

5 comments:

  1. PREACH ON!!!!!!!! I couldn't agree more. This guy is an ass hat and in my humble opinion is the primary reason for the debacle that was the '12 season. See Ya!!!! Don't let the door hit ya in the arse MW17 or should I call him "My Money"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The strength of Tannehill's arm won't mean jack if Wallace drops passes like he did last year.

    How'd that hold out work for ya 'Kid'?

    ReplyDelete