Friday, March 30, 2012

As Sean Payton Cajoles Bill Parcells He Thumbs Nose At Goodell


Only days after Commissioner Roger Goodell handed down the sanctions on the New Orleans Saints organization did we see head coach Patrick Sean Payton do something that was tantamount to flouting those sanctions.

Payton was suspended because of his involvement with and subterfuge regarding "Bounty-gate", but he basically thumbed his nose at it and started to woo his buddy Bill Parcells to come out of retirement and to coach the Saints while Payton sits in the corner on his year-long timeout.


From 2003 to 2005, Payton worked as quarterbacks coach of the Dallas Cowboys under Bill Parcells, and, of course, the Saints coach since 2006.

It began to sound like a scenario the Bard would conjure with the parties involved, Payton, Parcells, Goodell and Ray Anderson, completing this dramatis personae. It began to sound something like this:

SEAN PAYTON (Sampson) TO BILL PARCELLS (Gregory) (New Orleans Saints - Capulets):
I will thumb my nose at them by recruiting you to coach my team in my absence, if they bear it.

-- Enter ROGER GOODELL (Abraham) and RAY ANDERSON (Balthasar) (NFL - Montagues)

GOODELL:
Do you thumb your nose at us, sir?
PAYTON:
I do thumb my nose, sir.
GOODELL:
Do you thumb your nose at US, sir?
PAYTON:
[Aside to PARCELLS] Is the law on our side if I say yes?
PARCELLS:
[Aside] No, Congress is even looking to step in now.
PAYTON:
No, sir, I do not thumb my nose at you, but I do thumb my nose, sir.
PARCELLS:
Do you have a problem with me, sir?
GOODELL:
"Problem?" No, sir. I just thought you were retired is all.
PAYTON:
Well, if you do, sir, I apologize. *wink wink* I love football as much as you.
GOODELL:
No better or worse. I've proven my love by attempting to reduce injuries. I do believe that's why we're here in the first place, sir.
PAYTON:
Well, sir, I suppose...but I was hoping to recruit and nominate my man, sir.
GOODELL:
Did you abide by the Rooney Rule, sir? ~ Romeo & Juliet, Act I, scene i

Ok, yes, I have an imagination. Still, Payton has acted as if Goodell has no teeth and that he can go and campaign for his replacement. Not that he's acting completely mutinous, but it is still somewhat insubordinate.

Now Payton has also appealed, as he has the right to do, his suspension. That will give Payton more time now to cajole his friend and former coach to become the team’s interim head coach. And the plot thickens... - http://t.co/x9OVIQBd

Separately, the Saints, General Manager Mickey Loomis, and Saints assistant head coach/linebackers coach Joe Vitt actually have all appealed their punishments/suspensions - http://t.co/oBgYX76k

All things considered, including all we remember of Parcells' antics in the NFL, the attitude being displayed by Payton smacks at disrespect toward his situation. Even his apology for "what has happened" rather than for his complicit involvement and lying to the inquiry after the fact. I simply don't hear or see true remorse from Payton.

But, despite coming down with the appropriate severity in order to send an adequate message, Goodell's examples of inconsistent punishment are legion. So, it would be easy to understand the impetus behind Payton's mindset and actions.

A plague on both their houses...

No comments:

Post a Comment